Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Review: Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Cinder by Marissa Meyer
Series: Lunar Chronicles #1
Publisher: Puffin (Penguin)
First published: January 5th, 2012
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
Pages: 387
Goodreads Summary:
Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, the ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.

My Rating: 5.0 / 5

First thoughts:
Set in a scary dystopian world which is easy to forget about once your heart recognizes the beautiful love story, Cinder turned out to be a very addicting story. My only regret is that I wish to have picked up this amazing novel sooner and now can't wait to get my greedy little hands on a copy of its sequel, hoping to get to witness more scenes between this beautiful couple.

More detailed:
When I read Cinder's synopsis for the very first time, I didn't add it to my to-read list because I was quite skeptical whether I'd ever enjoy a story like this. But when so many positive reviews started to appear (especially on my favorite blogs), I knew I had to give this a chance. And now, after having read it myself, I'm really glad I trusted all these reviews, because it was simply amazing.

The world Cinder is set in is scary but oh-so-interesting. Marissa Meyer has created a very interesting dystopian (almost post-apocalyptic) society with technology that many people are scared of already today. And in the middle of it there is Linh Cinder, a cyborg and this novel's main character you just can't help but feel incredibly sorry for.

But despite her guardian's attitude and behaviour towards her, Cinder never loses her hope to fulfil her own dreams one day and get away from her painful life. Even though I sometimes wanted to tell her that she shouldn't think so low about herself, I could understand how the society she grew up in made her believe she's less than human.

The love story between Cinder and Prince Kai is swoon-worthy and even though it's developing very slowly, I knew very soon that they're right for each other. Of course a few elements reminded me a bit of the original fairytale Cinderella but mostly Cinder is its own story which is a fact I loved finding out. 

To sum up, I can just tell you how badly I'm craving to read the sequel Scarlett, because even though I expected the secret that was unveiled at the end, I now need to know how Cinder will deal with it and what will happen. If you haven't read Cinder yet, don't make the same mistake I did and wait too long - just pick up a copy and give this amazing novel a chance.

Challenge(s):
Debut Author Challenge 2012




Have you read Cinder? What did you think about it?
Do you plan to read it?

I'd love to hear your thoughts, so feel free to leave a comment.
Carina

10 comments:

  1. I want Scarlet so badly too ! I never really feel eager for an ARC, but when I saw the Scarlett ARCs people got at ALA I was like 0: Although, I have to disagree with you, I suggest waiting until Scarlett is closer to coming out to read Cinder so you don't have to endure the wait !

    I was lucky to win the audiobook and it is really well done. I highly suggest it, if you can get it at the library. I have so much confidence in Meyer to create a really wonderful story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! New follower here, great blog! I like your design! I would love a follow back at http://endlessdaysofbooks.blogspot.com/

    Candace

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yay, I'm so glad you loved it, Carina! This was such a refreshing and exciting read and I loved the characters so, so much. You'll definitely love Scarlet, too -- I actually think it's even better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm super skeptical about this one, as you were, but I have to admit I'm curious...especially with all of the amazing reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! Sigh. I am so so so happy that you loved this book. <3 And that you finally read it. lol :D I just adored Cinder. <3 And Kai :D Sigh. Need more of them. :) Dying to read Scarlet. <3 Great review, Carina :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. One more review that makes me want to read this book so bad!!!
    Amazing review, Carina, thanks to you I'm putting my copy of Cinder at the top of my TBR pile :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you liked Cinder, Carina. I loved it too and should really write a review of it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just read it and I absolutely LOVED it. It's an amazing story, and I really love Kai <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is this going to be a trilogy of a sort? sounds like a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like Cinder, too! Prince Kai... sigh. LOL

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!