Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Review: Until I Die by Amy Plum

Until I Die by Amy Plum
Series: Revenants #2
Publisher: HaperTeen (HarperCollins)
First published: May 8th, 2012
Source: Edelweiss
Format: eARC
Pages: 357
Goodreads Summary:
Kate and Vincent have overcome the odds and at last they are together in Paris, the city of lights and love.

As their romance deepens there’s one question they can’t ignore: How are they supposed to be together if Vincent can’t resist sacrificing himself to save others? Although Vincent promises that he’ll do whatever it takes to lead a normal life with Kate, will that mean letting innocent people die? When a new and surprising enemy reveals itself, Kate realizes that even more may be at stake—and that Vincent’s immortality is in jeopardy.

In Die for Me, Amy Plum created a captivating paranormal mythology with immortal revenants and a lush Paris setting. Until I Die is poised to thrill readers with more heart-pounding suspense, spellbinding romance, and a cliff-hanger ending that will leave them desperate for the third and final novel in the series.
My review for: Die For Me (book 1)

My Rating: 4.0 / 5

First thoughts:
Since Die For Me was one of my favorite reads of 2011, I was dying to read Until I Die, of course, to find out how this beautiful love story set in Paris would continue. Focussing on the obstacles Vincent and Kate have to break through to face a somewhat happy future, Until I Die scratches on the surface of an even more detailed Revenant-lore and I'm looking forward to find out more!

More detailed:
There is no doubt that I enjoyed Until I Die, although I have to admit that I didn't fell in love with it as much as I did with the first book of this lovely series, Die For Me. But especially this cliffhanger ending, which the synopsis isn't exaggerating about, will make sure that I'll pick up the third installment of this series as soon as it's available, hoping that everything will end up being good for the characters I've fallen in love with.

Kate and Vincent's relationship is the obvious focus of Until I Die. They have to face many obstacles, especially his immortality and her humanity. And even though this is not a new topic in the Young Adult genre, I found it to be done quite well. They're both trying to find ways to ensure a life together, scared that his need to save humans might destroy their future.

While I loved seeing them deal with these problems, I was a bit disappointed that it took up about three quarters of the story. I would have loved to see more foreshadowing concerning the "new and surprising enemy", would have loved to have more action and more fear of the bad guys - not just relationship-angst. Because of that my definite favorite part is the last quarter when the pace finally picked up.

Nonetheless I overall enjoyed reading Until I Die immensely. While I might not be completely happy with the plot, I wasn't bored at all. Maybe it's because I still loved the characters so much (I would have preferred to see more of Jules though) or because Amy's writing could make me fall in love with a cookbook, but I never felt the need to put it away to read something else.

As you might already guess, I'd definitely recommend you to pick up this series if you haven't or to definitely read the second book if you liked the first one. Until I Die might suffer a tiny bit from being the typical "middle book" of a series, building up the anticipation for the final installment, but I can't help still loving this series. I want the third book, If I Should Die, now!




Have you read Until I Die? What did you think about it?
Do you plan to read it?
Carina

7 comments:

  1. Yep, second books are always tough... But, I see nothing but good reviews so far and this makes me happy!! Die For Me was beautiful and stood out, the setting and the paranormal twist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So what did you think about this ending for this book??? It definitely left my jaw hanging down. :) Glad you enjoyed this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review Carina - I loved it too and that ending? OMG! I need book three now! Donna xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to agree that Kate and Vincent's relationship drama did drag on for quite awhile and definitely got on my nerves at some points. I absolutely agree that there should have been more Jules, I just love him. That ending though was just wow, definitely did not see that coming. I can't wait for the next book. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to read this. Too bad you didn't love it but I am glad you liked it :) thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read the first but I've had it's since it came out. I really want to read it but have a tiny bit of a fear I won't love it and I met Amy Plum and loved HER, so I HAVE to love her book! I just need to make myself pick it up. It's too bad this wasn't QUITE amazing and suffered just a bit from middle book syndrome but I'm glad you still enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Kate, she is so beyond the typical YA female heroine for me that I get smitten with her sometimes! She is so strong, yet still has what seems to be a good head on her shoulders. Until I Die picks up just about where we left off with our dear Kate and Vincent and while this is a mid-series novel, it didn't totally fall victim to my distaste for the mid-series-blues!

    Something about the whole concept around this whole series really took me and this was one of the books I was rather looking forward to this year. After the rush of reading Vampire novels, which at this point I have a really hard time picking one up, I was really unsure about the whole "undead" concept, but great concept and written especially well.

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!