Friday, May 18, 2012

Review: Of Poseidon by Anna Banks

Of Poseidon by Anna Banks
Series: Of Poseidon #1
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends (Macmillan)
Expected Publication: May 22nd, 2012
Source: NetGalley
Format: eARC
Pages: 324
Goodreads Summary:
Galen, a Syrena prince, searches land for a girl he's heard can communicate with fish. It’s while Emma is on vacation at the beach that she meets Galen. Although their connection is immediate and powerful, Galen's not fully convinced that Emma's the one he's been looking for. That is, until a deadly encounter with a shark proves that Emma and her Gift may be the only thing that can save his kingdom. He needs her help--no matter what the risk.

My Rating: 5.0 / 5

First thoughts:
When you don't even realize that you've reached the last words and keep pressing the "forward" button on your Kindle, which you believe to be broken in that second, you know that you've just finished one of your new favorite novels. With an enchanting story and characters that will never fail to make you smile, Of Poseidon won my heart and is a must-read for everyone. 

More detailed:
Of Poseidon is one of these rare paranormal stories that don't just focus on the dark supernatural aspects, but will make sure that you'll embarrass yourself while reading it in public. I don't think that there was even one chapter that didn't make me laugh out loud, which resulted in various members of my family looking at me strangely.

Emma and Galen are fantastic narrators. While her chapters are told by a first person narrator, his are told by a third person narrator, making it no problem to distinguish the voices. Both of them are easy to connect with and are probably going to be on my list of favorite couples of 2012 as well. Their relationship is complicated because of many different "fishy" reasons, but I'm hoping so badly that they will get the happy ending they deserve.

The mermaid, sorry, Syrena mythology is fascinating. While there are still so many things I'd love to find out about Galen and the world he's grown up in, the information enclosed in Of Poseidon is more than enough for the start of a series. We get to know just enough to understand what's going on, but not too much,making sure we'll be picking up the second book as well.

Of Poseidon doesn't have a wide cast of secondary characters, but those that we get to meet are almost as three-dimensional as our protagonists. They have positive and negative traits, develop throughout the story and provide lots of entertainment. My favorite probably is Toraf, whose heart definitely is in the right place and will make his mate very happy.

All in all, I've fallen in love with Of Poseidon immediately and hope that the wait for the second book won't end up being too long. This first book of a series ended with a mean cliffhanger - and while I kind of expected the secret that was unveiled, I can't wait for the reactions of my new favorite characters and hope that they'll still be able to recognize their world afterwards. If you haven't put Of Poseidon on your to-read list already, do this immediately and buy a copy as soon as possible.



Have you read Of Poseidon? What did you think about it?
Do you plan to read it?

Please leave your thoughts in the comment section below!
Carina

13 comments:

  1. Oh that's so funny that you thought the Forward button on your Kindle was broken.
    Seriously, that comment made me want to go and buy this book!
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it so much. Great review, Carina :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds awesome. I only read one mermaid book so far (Lies Beneath) which was great and this one sounds just as good. (loved the part about your kindle :D ) Going to wait for the PB to come out though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds really good, I want to read it.
    I haven´t read books about mermaids.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "When you don't even realize that you've reached the last words and keep pressing the "forward" button on your Kindle, which you believe to be broken in that second, you know that you've just finished one of your new favorite novels"

    I completely agree, I got to the end and pressed to turn the page thinking there was more and I got a not so nice notice I had reached the end of the book >_< I am glad you enjoyed it as much as I did :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL Carina, you burst out into laughter while reading this book too?? It was just so funny that it was hard NOT to grin like crazy whenever I read the scenes between Galen and Emma! x) And I agree with absolutely everything in your review -- especially how the secondary characters were just as fun as the main ones. If I can't have Galen, Toraf is the second one on my list and he's nothing of a downgrade! :')

    Absolutely amazing review, Carina! <3 I'm so happy that you loved this book as much as I did! Now you can shake your fist at the world with me because of that horrible cliffhanger until the next book comes out! x)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review, Carina
    hoping to read this1 soon

    ReplyDelete
  8. My boyfriend gave me some pretty strange looks while I was reading this! I tried to muffle my laughter when I was reading, but it ended up coming out as a grunt-thing, which I think was worse. I love Galen and Emma and can't wait for the next book to see what happens with them!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YEAH!!!!!!! SOooooO Happy you loved it!!! Of Poseidon was so phenomenal!!! This book took my by surprise and totally knocked me out with it's awesomeness! Galen and Emma were incredibly character and I loved them so freaking much! This book most definitely is one of my most favorite reads :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww, maybe I should consider reading this book. I really like mermaid/syren stories, so I'll think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everyone is raving about this one, I soooooo need a copy :) !! Fabulous review !!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've had this on my wish list for a while and was really pissed off when I didn't get a galley, so it's still on my wish list... But I definitely want to read it and I'm glad you like it so much! Great review :)

    Nickey

    ReplyDelete
  13. The story actually starts out amazing, with a huge tragedy. And I loved it all. It's extremely exciting. But then, through the rest of the book, it's like that tragedy never happened. And that, to me, was not acceptable. Thought it shouldn't have been forgotten; what happened.

    But even though that horrible but sort of awesome thing is forgotten, the story is still amazing. I'm loving it so much. The plot in this book is really, really good. It is so exciting, and it feels sort of real too. In an un-real way. But I enjoyed it so much.

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!