Friday, May 25, 2012

Review: Fated by Alyson Noel

Fated by Alyson Noel
Series: Soul Seekers #1
Publisher: Macmillan Children's Books (Macmillan UK)
First published: May 24th, 2012
Source: Received from publisher
Format: ARC
Pages: 440
Goodreads Summary:
Strange things are happening to Daire Santos. Crows mock her, glowing people stalk her, time stops without warning, and a beautiful boy with unearthly blue eyes haunts all her dreams. Fearing for her daughter’s sanity, Daire’s mother sends her to live with the grandmother she’s never met. A woman who recognizes the visions for what they truly are—the call to her destiny as a Soul Seeker—one who can navigate the worlds between the living and dead.

There on the dusty plains of Enchantment, New Mexico, Daire sets out to harness her mystical powers. But it’s when she meets Dace, the boy from her dreams, that her whole world is shaken to its core. Now Daire is forced to discover if Dace is the one guy she's meant to be with...or if he’s allied with the enemy she's destined to destroy.

My Rating: 2.5 / 5

First thoughts:
Having read and loved the first three books of Alyson's Immortals series, I had quite high expectations for her new series. And while I really liked her writing style and the mythology incorporated in Fated, I sadly had a hard time connecting with the characters and the plot, blaming the rather slow pace.

More detailed:
Despite having read quite a few mixed reviews for Fated, I tried loving it as much as I loved Evermore. I had hoped that knowing what to expect would make me appreciate the story more, but sadly I only found myself agreeing to the criticism I have read before starting to read it myself.

The mystical premise of the story sounds promising and I was hoping to be whisked away into a secretive and intriguing world. And while I have to admit that the world-building is very imaginative and whets your appetite for more, there are some aspects that I found confusing and that lacked some more thorough explanations.

I also had some problems connecting with the main character Daire and her attitude towards the things that were happening to her. In the beginning she was a bit too stubborn in my opinion, but later she shed that quality too fast. Therefore being a bit unpredictable, I sadly didn't like her as much as I hope to like the protagonists of books, which of course made it even more difficult to fall in love with Fated.

But of course there are things that I really enjoyed. Most of all: the writing. It's different from the usual and rather simple writing style I got used to while reading almost nothing but Young Adult novels. It's beautiful and creates a wonderful imagery, which makes it very easy to imagine the things Alyson Noel wants us to see.

I'm definitely not going to give up on this series and hope that the sequel, Echo, will give me more insight into important paranormal / mythological elements of this story that will help me to understand this world a bit better. And since I really liked Daire's love interest (and to be honest, his brother, too), I'm hoping to find out more about him as well. All in all, I'd recommend Fated to people who don't care whether the story they're reading is fairly slow paced and want something different from the usual Young Adult paranormal stories.




Have you read Fated? What did you think about it?
Do you plan to read it?

Leave your thoughts in the comment section below!
Carina

13 comments:

  1. Great review Carina. I have to say I'm glad I'm not the only one who had thoughts like this with the book. I really didn't enjoy it and I didn't connect with Daire at all. Not sure if I would read the next. Donna xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm...I have to say, I quit Noel's Immortals series after book 4. I like her writing, but didn't find much progression in the story. So I haven't been interested in this new series. I think I'll wait for the verdict on book 2 before I consider reading Fated. Thanks for the informative review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also did not read past book 4 in her other series....so I am very hesitant about starting a this new series. My TBR pile is overflowing as it is...I think I will follow Andrea's lead and wait and see how the other books do! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review. I have read the first two books from the Immortal series but didn´t loved them, since then I haven´t read any other book of Noel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh. This is the second review (out of two) that I read and people didn't enjoy it. I guess it really isn't for me either then :P :P I don't know.. this author just do it for me. Don't know exactly why. It just doesn't. :/

    ReplyDelete
  6. awww boo! what a bummer.... I was looking forward to this one! :\

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm reading this one right now and kinda afraid to keep going. It's either everybody hates it or loves it. I hate slow paced books, though, so I have a feeling this one will be a miss for me. :\

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your honest critique, Carina. I just could not get into it enough and I stopped reading it. :/ It's kind of sad, too, because I was really looking forward to reading a book with a Native American mythology base. Daire was too stubborn and I just couldn't like her even though I felt sorry for what she was going through. It will be on my Did-Not-Finish shelf and probably either donated or given to someone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, I didn't love this one. Daire is definitely not a character for me. I did like the idea for the story, it just fell flat. It seems I'm not the only one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh bummer! I was hoping you'd have liked it more. :( I'm probably still going to give it a try.

    Wow, the UK cover is yellow! I think I like the purple version more, but this is really pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awww. Hopefully the next book will be better. I have been reading mixed reviews about this book but thank you for your honest and fab review! It still doe sounds interesting. I might have to read it not soon though. Great review Carina. x

    Ƹ̴Ӂ̴ƷFICBOOKREVIEWSƸ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aww. Bummer :(

    Great review. Very honest!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The book lacked the edge I had been anticipating, I'm afraid. Nothing really seemed as dangerous as this type of story required in order to make you excited. In short--Fated seemed seemed just a bit too innocent at times. Especially with the things we encounter. On the other hand, I enjoyed reading it and the story was as original as you can get in the paranormal genre.

    What I did fully love, was the fact that Alyson Noel could create wonderful worlds that honestly didn't sound that farfetched, the way she wrote it! I could honestly believe in the Lower, Middle, and Upperworld if I knew it was fiction. It's just the way that Alyson Noel pieced together the words and sentences that made you convinced of everything. Onto characters, I honestly hated Daire the first few chapters. She seemed as shallow as Ever was sometimes, but later on, you did see her (hopefully) real side, one that's caring and not as whiny. Dace wasn't at all as dangerous as his brother, Cole, and that was one thing I didn't exactly like. In real life, a sweet, caring guy is wonderful! In books, I know a lot of readers prefer the dark and dangerous ones. A seemingly innocent boy didn't fit with the blurb, exactly. I thought at first that Dace would be all cocky and a bit sweet, still dangerous. That way you honestly wouldn't know if he was friend or foe. But even though I was skeptical at first, I Dace did eventually grow on me and I grew to like him more and more. Cade is your typical antagonist, although even more evil in my eyes. I mean, he ate...well, read it and find out!

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!