Sunday, May 20, 2012

Review + Excerpt: Welcome, Caller, This is Chloe by Shelley Coriell (Blog Tour Stop)

Welcome, Caller, This is Chloe by Shelley Coriell
Publisher: Amulet (Abrams and Chronicle Book)
First published: May 1st, 2012
Source: Received from publisher
Format: ARC
Pages: 299
Goodreads Summary:
Big-hearted Chloe Camden is the queen of her universe until her best friend shreds her reputation and her school counselor axes her junior independent study project. Chloe is forced to take on a meaningful project in order to pass, and so she joins her school’s struggling radio station, where the other students don’t find her too queenly. Ostracized by her former BFs and struggling with her beloved Grams’s mental deterioration, lonely Chloe ends up hosting a call-in show that gets the station much-needed publicity and, in the end, trouble. She also befriends radio techie and loner Duncan Moore, a quiet soul with a romantic heart. On and off the air, Chloe faces her loneliness and helps others find the fun and joy in everyday life. Readers will fall in love with Chloe as she falls in love with the radio station and the misfits who call it home.

My Rating: 4.0 / 5

First thoughts:
With pretty vintage shoes and the inclination to talk a little bit more than necessary, Chloe Camden won my heart and made it impossible for me set her story aside. It's a story of finding out who you really are, what you want and that sometimes the people surrounding you are more important. After initial difficulties I fell in love with Welcome, Caller, This is Chloe and cannot wait to read more books by Shelley Coriell.

More detailed:
When I read the first chapters of Welcome, Caller, This is Chloe I had a few problems getting into the story. While it might have been enjoyable, it wasn't love at first sight and I had trouble connecting with Chloe, who's completely different from most of the usual YA heroines. But in the end, this fact was what made me love the book so much.

Despite her life being an absolute mess, Chloe picks herself up and doesn't stop trying to have fun even during the most depressing situations. Laughter is her medicine and she rarely fails to make others smile - especially me as a reader. While her attitude seems to be too carefree in the beginning, she develops a lot throughout the story and realizes that there are moments when she has to think of how others want, or even need, her to react.

The other characters we encounter in Welcome, Caller, This is Chloe are colorful and add different flavours to the story. We get mean girls, who aren't necessarily mean but just insecure. We get the cute guy, who has the weight of the world on his shoulders because he cares too much and serious communication issues. We get the most hilarious grandmother, whom I just wanted to hug all the time. To put it briefly, the secondary characters are awesome.

Why didn't I rate it even higher then? Sadly, I'm not really sure and I'm very sorry about that. I think this is one of the books that are easy and very enjoyable to read and that you'd recommend without hesitating, but at the same time it's easy to put behind and pick up the next book afterwards.

Nonetheless Welcome, Caller, This is Chloe is a fantastic YA contemporary. If you're having a bad day and are looking for a pick-me-up to make you smile again, this should be one of your first choices. Even though it deals with some serious topics, it never loses its lightheartedness and will make sure that you're going to have fun reading Chloe's story.

Challenge(s):
YA Contemporary Challenge 2012
Debut Author Challenge 2012






Excerpt

The following excerpt is from Chapter 2. You can read the first chapter here.




9 comments:

  1. One of the reasons I love this book very much is Chloe's cheerfulness. She cares about people around her, and she tries her best to make everyone's happy! I won't mind having her as my friend, although maybe sometimes she annoys her a bit with her talking LOL! x)

    Fantastic review, Carina! So glad you enjoyed this book! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, a perfect pick-me-up indeed, from the sound of it! It seems like just my kind of thing. I HAVE YET TO READ THIS ONE. But I will, very soon! I like heroines that are different than most, and her breeziness and cheerfulness sounds like so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I absolutely LOVED this book! Wonderful tour post and review, well done Carina!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love blog tours! Welcome, Caller, This is Chloe sounds like a cute read, that I should put on my wishlist:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. this sounds like my kind of book. i'm a sucker for fun, contemp YAs.

    thanks for stopping by our "new books" post.

    -michelle
    Michelle & Leslie's Book Picks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laughter is the best medicine. Always nice to read about characters handling touch situations well. Sounds fun. I understand what you mean. So many books are really good and fun but just not super life changing. Something unknown is just holding it back from being a 5. But 4 star books are still well worth reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought this sounded like a cute read so I'm glad to hear that IS the case. I'm always up for a lighthearted read so I'll definitely keep it in mind when I'm in the mood for one. Great review, Carina!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's aside from the key determinant, of course, that was the time I was able to push Sense-powered updates in a timely fashion. Dc in each dc to ch-1 space, repeat from * around, join with sl st in next sc.

    My web-site :: sex cams

    ReplyDelete
  9. Later I wanted to introduce myself because, well, as tight
    as it gets. You can merge and split events, should you choose
    that option it pops you straight into the shoes and as a human being
    in general, I have seen numerous" feel good" documentaries,
    but normally.

    Also visit my web site fleshlight

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!