Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Review: Immortal City by Scott Speer

Immortal City by Scott Speer
Publisher: Scholastic UK
Expected Publication: April 5th, 2012
Source: Received from publisher
Format: ARC
Pages: 406
Goodreads Summary:
Jackson Godspeed is the hottest young Angel in a city filled with them. He's days away from becoming a full Guardian, and people around the world are already competing for the chance to be watched over by him. Everyone's obsessed with the Angels and the lucky people they protect - everyone except for Madison Montgomery.

Maddy's the one girl in Angel City who doesn't breathlessly follow the Angels on TV and gossip blogs. When she meets Jackson, she doesn't recognize him. But Jackson is instantly captivated by her, and against all odds the two fall in love.

Maddy is swiftly caught up in Jackson's scene, a world of glamour, paparazzi - and murder. A serial killer is on the loose, leaving dead Angels' wings for the police to find on the Walk of Fame. Even the Guardians are powerless to protect themselves in the face of this threat … and this time it's up to Maddy to save Jackson.

My Rating: 3.5 / 5

First thoughts:
Entertaining, decadent and a little bit heart-breaking - Immortal City turned out to be a fast-paced read that will make readers wonder about its world and morals. While I couldn't connect to its characters as fast as I'd hoped to, I definitely enjoyed reading it and often had a hard time putting it down. If you're looking for a unique angel story, this might be the right one for you.

More detailed:
I fell in love with the sound of Immortal City immediately when I first read its summary. A world obsessing over Guardian Angels instead of actors and musicians? Sounds very awesome and I couldn't wait to get my hands on a copy of it. Then a few mixed reviews started to appear and I was scared that it wouldn't live up to my expectations. After reading it, I didn't fall in love with this book, but I ended up enjoying Immortal City.

Immortal City is told by a third person narrator from various points of view. As I love this narrational technique, because it gives you much more insight into what happens, I could read this novel very fast and easily. I never felt the need to put it away and take a break from reading. It was actually hard to put down at certain moments when I just wanted to know how Scott Speer would continue his story.

Maddy grew up in a world in which angels are what Hollywood stars are for us. It's even more extreme than that as almost everyone is obsessed with them and wants to know everything - as fast as possible. This is, of course, enhanced by the fact that she grew up in Los Angeles, the Immortal City, where the angle-hype is worse than anywhere else.

I really loved the world Scott Speer created and think it's really unique. These angels do good deeds - but these come with hefty prices. Guardian Angels are no longer the secret saviours, but earn their living by saving the people they've been assigned to. I'm very glad that Maddy isn't one of the angel-obsessed people, but is still able to see what's beneath the surface. This just makes her romance with Jackson a lot more believable and interesting.

Despite liking Maddy's attitude, I sadly had a few problems connecting with the characters. I don't know whether it's because the point of view changes too often or abrupt or because it's not a first person narrator, but I had problems truly caring about them. I didn't like bad things happening to them, but I never grew too attached - but that's usually the exact thing that makes me love a book.

All in all, Immortal City is an exciting, glamorous, and action-packed novel which had me guessing about its true villain until the end - and I have to admit that I never guessed right. While I didn't fall in love with it as I expected at first, I definitely enjoyed it and hope that this isn't the last we've seen of Maddy and Jacks.

Challenge(s):
Debut Author Challenge 2012 

Pre-order Immortal City:
The Book Depository | Amazon | Barnes & Noble

Have you read Immortal City? What did you think about it?
Do you plan to read it?
Carina

5 comments:

  1. Truth to be told I'm in love with the idea and,, well I love Angel books! However, so far I only read mediocre reviews so far. Just like you, many people like it but no one was totally blown away. Sometimes many POV can be very distracting. For instance I had a problem with the 5 POV in Dearly, Departed. I guess I will read it when I have some "free" reading time:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you really liked it, Carina! I felt too that it was very enjoyable and entertaining, and I would say it has a great potential to become a TV series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've wanted to read this book for quite a long time. I just can't wait to grab a copy of my own and start reading. Your review was lovely. Happy reading!

    Check out my blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard a few people talking about this book and it's one of the titles that I'm 'waiting on'. Lovely review and I can't wait to check this out!

    Nicole's Library

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovly review
    i can wait to finnaly read it soon

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!