Friday, April 6, 2012

Review: Chosen Ones by Tiffany Truitt

Chosen Ones by Tiffany Truitt
Series: The Lost Souls #1
Publisher: Entangled Publishing
Expected Publication: April 10th, 2012
Source: Received from publisher
Format: eARC
Pages: 260
Goodreads Summary:
What if you were mankind’s last chance at survival?

Sixteen-year-old Tess lives in a compound in what was once the Western United States, now decimated after a devastating fourth World War. But long before that, life as we knew it had been irrevocably changed, as women mysteriously lost the ability to bring forth life. Faced with the extinction of the human race, the government began the Council of Creators, meant to search out alternative methods of creating life. The resulting artificial human beings, or Chosen Ones, were extraordinarily beautiful, unbelievably strong, and unabashedly deadly.

Life is bleak, but uncomplicated for Tess as she follows the rigid rules of her dystopian society, until the day she begins work at Templeton, the training facility for newly created Chosen Ones. There, she meets James, a Chosen One whose odd love of music and reading rivals only her own. The attraction between the two is immediate in its intensity—and overwhelming in its danger.

But there is more to the goings-on at Templeton than Tess ever knew, and as the veil is lifted from her eyes, she uncovers a dark underground movement bent not on taking down the Chosen Ones, but the Council itself. Will Tess be able to stand up to those who would oppress her, even if it means giving up the only happiness in her life?

My Rating: 4.0 / 5

First thoughts:
Set in a unique dystopian world, Chosen Ones captivated me right from the beginning and makes me wish to get to read the sequel as soon as possible. With its intriguing storyline it was hard to put down and even though I wished that some questions were answered earlier, my need to find out more about Tess' world made me turn the pages as fast as possible. If you're looking for a dystopian novel with intriguing science-fiction-elements, you should give this a chance.

More detailed:
Chosen Ones ended up being completely different than what I expected (or maybe was unsure to expect), but in a very positive way. It's set in a dystopian world in which females are worth next to nothing and are blamed for everything bad that happens. The "Chosen Ones", artificial human beings with special powers, slowly take over the world - or rather what's left of it - and make life for the survivors of the war even more difficult.

This world, which Tiffany Truitt created, captivated me instantly and it was hard to stop reading. But I also have to admit that it was a little bit difficult to follow the happenings in the beginning, because it takes quite a while to get answers to questions that were important to me. But once these answers were given, I enjoyed reading about this world even more.

In the beginning, Chosen Ones' main character Tess is a little bit hard to relate to. Her attitude toward certain situations is simply a product of her upbringing and the world she grew up in, but even though I knew that, it was a little bit hard to build up a connection with her. But at the same time this is the reason why her development is so wonderful to witness and toward the end, I really cared about her and could finally understand her motivations.

I always loved finding out more about the "Chosen Ones." In the beginning they are the epitome of the evil, but especially with getting to know James better, it is easy to see that even they have a burden to carry. I'm definitely looking forward to find out more about them, their lives and what being a "Chosen One" means for them.

All in all, Chosen Ones is the perfect novel for everyone who is in the mood for a dystopian with an intriguing but slightly scary world and a lovestory that will make your heart melt. It took a while for me to really get into it, but at the same time it was always difficult to put down. I can't wait for the second book of the Lost Souls series and wouldn't hesitate to recommend Chosen Ones.

Challenge(s): 
Debut Author Challenge 2012

Tiffany Truitt online:
Goodreads | Twitter | Blog

Have you read Chosen Ones? Do you plan to read it?
Leave your thoughts in a comment below!
Carina

11 comments:

  1. This one sounds really interesting! I haven't really read any dystopian in awhile but I'll still keep an eye out for this one. Fabulous review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooohhhhhh, I've been wanting to read this one for the longest time (mostly because I fell in love with that cover, but also because I love dystopian books too)! The world sounds really cool, and I'm glad that this book has character development so you like Tess more in the end than you did at first. :)

    Awesome review, Carina! I'm definitely going to be picking this book up when it comes out! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I thought this sounded like a good read from when I first heard of it, so I'm glad that you enjoyed it so much. I'm really curious about the "Chosen Ones" now because they sound like there are plenty of layers to peel back. I'm definitely looking forward to reading this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review Carina.
    I loved this book so much. I have it 5 stars and I instantly went and pre-ordered the paperback because I just know I will read it again and again.
    I cannot wait to read the second book and see what happens.
    Hopefully we will get that one for review as well LOL

    ~ Kayleigh

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have had this on my to-read list for a while now, but this is the first time I've read up on it. It definitely sounds amazing! I can't wait to read it now. :) Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! I honestly want to read this one mostly because I have an exact copy of that dress she is wearing on the cover and it makes me laugh. Will have to check this one out!

    Megan @ Book Brats

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds super interesting. I shall give this one a look :) Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I was going to read that soon but then I was told it was pushed back to release in June so I put it off since I'm swamped in review books. I totally love the sounds of it though and I'm glad I read about Tess being hard to connect to at first that would have bugged me so good to know it's fine by the end. I so love that cover too!! Great review Carina!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A melt-worthy romance and a dystopian setting? Why wasn't this on my radar earlier? How crazy is that! This is exactly my kind of book. I'll have to make time for this one at some point because it looks just too good (which is apparent from your review) to pass up. :D

    Asher

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohh, awesome review :D <3 I cannot wait to read this book. Want it right now! But book depo says June :\ It just sounds so good. Hoping I'll like it :) Glad you did :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay great review Carina! I like this one but I felt there was something missing. I'd probably read the next book though. Donna xoxox

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!