Friday, March 16, 2012

Review: My Enchanted Life by Laura Eno

My Enchanted Life by Laura Eno
Publisher: Self-Published
First published: December 5th, 2011
Source: Received from author
Format: .mobi (Kindle)
Pages: 256
Goodreads Summary:
An American teen finds herself thrust into a world she never knew existed in England's magical community of Wode Gate. While dealing with gnomes, a cranky dragon, murder and mayhem, Emma tries to cope with her unwanted duties as Sentinel and fights to get back home again.
She finds that things aren't always what they seem, people aren't who they pretend to be, and someone wants her dead. The king of the underworld wants her too, but he may be the least of her problems as Emma struggles to control her powers—while losing her heart to a demon.

My Rating: 3.0 / 5

First thoughts:
I wasn't really sure what to expect of My Enchanted Life, but it turned out to be an enjoyable read. It's very fast-paced, at points maybe even a bit rushed, and I finished it without even realizing that I had read a complete novel. I really hope that this wasn't the last we've seen of Emma, because I'd still love some questions to be answered and to find out more about certain characters and the world they're living in.

More detailed:
Emma, My Enchanted Life's main character, is a very likeable girl who is thrust into a magical world that overwhelms her in the beginning but soon becomes an important part of her life. To me, she sometimes seemed to be slightly naive, but then she would do or say something that surprised me. While I love reading about complex characters, Emma was not very easy to figure out and I had some problems being able to relate to her and understand her (re)actions.

In My Enchanted Life we encounter many different characters, some of which were lovely surprises, others were a bit one-dimensional. Nonetheless they were the most important part of this story for me and constantly made sure to move on the plot and keep reading My Enchanted Life interesting. I'm definitely hoping for a sequel, just to see how some of them (especially Matthew and Randolph) will develop.

The world in My Enchanted Life is very imaginative and full of surprises as well. Faerie stories often get their beauty from the many different creatures and dimensions they include and Laura Eno's novel is no exception. I might have preferred the world-building to be a bit slower and more detailed, but especially the Underworld and its inhabitants captivated me.

All in all, I enjoyed reading My Enchanted Life and really hope that Emma's story is not over already. Sometimes it might have been a bit rushed and I might have wanted a few parts of the story to be more elaborated, but I really liked it nonetheless. Laura Eno created a wonderful world with intriguing characters and exciting events, and if you're looking for a light-hearted but suspenseful faerie novel, this one could be right for you.

Laura Eno online:
Website | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads

Have you read My Enchanted Life? What did you think about it?
Do you plan to read it?
Carina

2 comments:

  1. FIrst time I hear of this one. I love a book with a lot of great characters and it sounds really original too! Great review Carina! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the review, Carina! Yes, there will be a sequel. :)

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!