Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Review: The Mayfair Moon by J.A. Redmerski

The Mayfair Moon by J.A. Redmerski
Series: The Darkwoods Trilogy #1
Publisher: Self-Published
First published: February 6th, 2012
Source: Received from author
Format: .mobi (Kindle)
Pages: 352
Goodreads Summary:
After a nightmarish encounter with a werewolf, seventeen-year-old Adria Dawson loses her sister, but gains the love of a mysterious young man and his legendary family.

Strange and tragic things begin to happen in the small town of Hallowell, Maine: residents come down with an unexplainable ‘illness’ and some disappear. In the midst of everything, Isaac Mayfair is adamant about keeping Adria safe, even from her sister whom he has warned her to stay away from.

As unspeakable secrets unfold all around Adria, impossible choices become hers to bear. Ultimately, no matter what path she takes, her life and the lives of those she loves will be in peril. As she learns about the werewolf world she also learns why her place in it will change the destinies of many.
This is more suitable for older teens (16+).

My Rating: 4.5 / 5

First thoughts:
I'm currently developing a slight werewolf-addiction and The Mayfair Moon did not help me change that. On the contrary, it managed to make my addiction worse and made me fall in love with its paranormal aspects, its characters and their stories. It was impossible to put down and the ending makes me hope that the sequel will be out as soon as possible - I need to know more!

More detailed:
It took about one and a half chapters to get used to The Mayfair Moon's main character's narration and then I only put it down when it was absolutely necessary. It starts off right before danger and confusion come into Adria's life and gives us a glimpse into her world before being dragged into a paranormal adventure.

Adria is a very interesting character. She makes some decisions she regrets later, but she's still quite relatable despite the unusal situation she's in. Her crush on Isaac develops very fast, but she's still trying to be rational and doesn't forget herself in the process. She has also found great friends and especially Harry and Zia will make you want to be a part of this world.

It's difficult to say whether The Mayfair Moon is fast- or slow-paced. While it never gets boring and weird things, which will keep you interested, happen constantly, some questions take a long while to be answered. But that's exactly the reason why this novel is so hard to put down - you want answers and while waiting for them, new things will happen that will make you want to know even more.

All in all, I absolutely loved The Mayfair Moon and can recommend this to everyone who loves werewolves and suspenseful stories. There cannot be found a love triangle so far, but that doesn't make me stop wanting one. This and The Mayfair Moon's ending will make the wait for the second book in the Darkwoods trilogy almost unbearable for me.

This review is part of The Mayfair Moon's blog tour, 

Have you read The Mayfair Moon? What did you think about it?
Do you plan to read it?
Carina

5 comments:

  1. Seems interesting! Planning to read it real soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm I hadn't heard of this one! Sounds interesting. Nice review! :)

    ♥ Sarah @ I'm Loving Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, glad you liked it! I have this one but I have so many books to read I don't know when I'll be able to read it (you know that feeling, right? lol). But sounds definitely interesting! Werewolves... it's been some time since I've read anything about them (saving myself for The Savage Grace, probably).

    Nice review! I hope I get to read this soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh! I'm definitely glad it didn't help your werewolf addiction! And I'm definitely glad you ended up enjoying it. I'm seriously curious myself and cannot wait to pick it up! Great review:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds really neat! I've only read a couple of reviews on it and they're all pretty positive. I'd be in need of a good werewolf books soon it's been a while actually! >.<

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!