Friday, March 30, 2012

Review: The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa
Series: Blood of Eden #1
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Expected Publication: April 24th, 2012
Source: NetGalley
Format: eARC
Pages: 485
Goodreads Summary:
Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten.

Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of them. The vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself is attacked—and given the ultimate choice. Die… or become one of the monsters.

Faced with her own mortality, Allie becomes what she despises most. To survive, she must learn the rules of being immortal, including the most important: go long enough without human blood, and you will go mad.

Then Allie is forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls. There she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend—a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.

But it isn't easy to pass for human. Especially not around Zeke, who might see past the monster inside her. And Allie soon must decide what—and who—is worth dying for.

My Rating: 5.0 / 5

First thoughts:
I had very high expectations for Julie Kagawa's new novel and am happy to say that all of them were met. I fell in love with her new characters and her new incredible world immediately and cannot wait to read more of this. I've always loved Julie's writing in the Iron Fey series, but with The Immortal Rules she is now definitely one of my favorite authors. Don't hesitate, go and pick up your own copy! It's amazing.

More detailed:
Again, Julie Kagawa has built an overly imaginative and very complex world that will pull readers in and make them want to know more about it. The world of The Immortal Rules is dark and dangerous, creating a huge contrast to the beauty of the fairy world in her Iron Fey series. And this is exactly what I enjoyed so much about this novel: Julie has proven that she could be writing anything and it will turn out to be amazing.

While I've read less and less vampire books during the last months because I needed a break from them, The Immortal Rules has given this genre a new charm. While some aspects of the lives of vampires aren't exactly new, I love the dystopian / post-apocalyptic setting that turns them into even more vicious creatures than I've witnessed before in other books.

Allison, The Immortal Rules' main character, is perfectly flawed. Some of her decisions and actions made me cringe and I sometimes wanted to shout at her for saying the wrong things. But at the same time it's hard not to love her. She's grown up under unimaginable conditions and while she has always been used to take care of herself, she never forgets the people around her. 

The romance in The Immortal Rules develops slowly, but with everything that is happening and the world-building this is the excact pace it needs. At this point, I cannot say whether there'll ever be a love triangle, but I know that I'm more than happy with the romantic aspects of this series so far. Allison's love interest is a wonderful person and I'm really hoping to read a lot more about him in the second book of the Blood of Eden series.

If you liked Julie's Iron Fey series, I'm more than sure that you'll enjoy The Immortal Rules, too. If you want to read a vampire novel that will refresh this genre, you'll need to read this one as well. I fell in love with it completely, devoured it as fast as possible and now I'm dying to get my hands on the second book of this series. Definitely one of my favorite books of 2012!





Have you read The Immortal Rules? What did you think about it?
Do you plan to read it?
Carina

9 comments:

  1. Yay, awesome review Carina! I'm so glad you liked it this one and I can not wait to start it! Donna xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. A perfectly flawed main character is something I always look forward to. I'm looking forward to its publication date! Thanks for sharing your review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have it at the top of my "to read" list! I love Julie Kagawa. No doubt this one will blow me away, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AHh I just started this one! I'm still towards the beginning of the book so I haven't encountered this love interest yet but I'm definitely excited to. Your review has made me really want to finish up this book. Hopefully I can do that today. Awesome review :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This will be my first book by Julie so I'm even more intrigued by it. I'm really looking forward to it though I haven't heard any bad things about it at all!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Romance aside, this is what I'm most looking forward to: "I love the dystopian / post-apocalyptic setting that turns them into even more vicious creatures than I've witnessed before in other books." I want to see an even darker version than the vampires I've known in other books. And I think, given the setting, that's exactly what I'm going to get. Splendid review!

    Asher

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just glanced over your First Impressions for the book for now, because I'm reading this book now! I will definitely come back and check out your review when I've finished the book. SO glad to see that you loved it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahh! I want to read this book so much. I loved the Iron Fey series so I'm sure I'll love this book too. Also the new take on vampires sounds really interesting. Thanks for the great review, I'm glad to hear that you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You made me so curious about this book! I'm reading "The Iron Daughter" at the moment. I don't like faeries that much, so I'm quite surprised that I like and enjoy this series. Like you I stopped reading vampire novels because I read too many of them, but I think I have to give Julie Kagawa another chance and try "The Immortal Rules" ...

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!