Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Review: Goddess Interrupted by Aimée Carter

Goddess Interrupted by Aimée Carter
Series: Goddess Test #2
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Expected Publication: March 27th, 2012
Source: NetGalley
Format: eARC
Pages: 304
Goodreads Summary:
Kate Winters has won immortality. But if she wants a life with Henry in the Underworld, she'll have to fight for it.

Becoming immortal wasn't supposed to be the easy part. Though Kate is about to be crowned Queen of the Underworld, she's as isolated as ever. And despite her growing love for Henry, ruler of the Underworld, he's becoming ever more distant and secretive. Then, in the midst of Kate's coronation, Henry is abducted by the only being powerful enough to kill him: the King of the Titans.As the other gods prepare for a war that could end them all, it is up to Kate to save Henry from the depths of Tartarus. But in order to navigate the endless caverns of the Underworld, Kate must enlist the help of the one person who is the greatest threat to her future. Henry's first wife, Persephone.
This might include spoilers if you haven't read the first book of this series.

My Rating: 4.0 / 5

First thoughts:
After loving the first book of this series, The Goddess Test, very much, my expectations for its sequel were really high. Luckily it didn't take long for me to be sucked into this world of myths, love, friendship, fear and betrayal and I thoroughly enjoyed meeting all of these characters again and finding out even more about them. The wait for the third book will be torturous though, as Goddess Interrupted ends with one of the worst cliffhangers I've ever encountered.

More detailed:
I fell in love with Aimée Carter's series immediately while reading her first book and I was more than happy to finally be able to continue it. While The Goddess Test could easily have been a standalone novel, I'm more than happy to have read Goddess Interrupted. It was a very fast-paced read and I only needed a few hours to finish it. I also found out much more about certain characters - especially Kate and Henry and their relationship.

When reading the ending of The Goddess Test I was scared of a love triangle. While I usually love them, I didn't want anything to ruin Kate and Henry's relationship. And even though the person, who I feared would make problems, didn't end up doing much harm, I got another love triangle. Although I'm not sure whether this is even the right word for it as it's mostly based on unrequited feelings, it fills the book with lots of angst.

I didn't necessarily enjoy Kate's consistent whining and her ever-present fear of Henry not being able to love her enough, but I am very happy that Aimée Carter decided to include this problem. What happened in Goddess Interrupted will give Henry and Kate the power to overcome more dangerous obstacles in the third book, which have now been slowly introduced. You could obviously see how their relationship developed into something more serious and even more believable than before, and I'm very grateful for that.

As I already said above, Goddess Interrupted ends with a very awful cliffhanger, which I simultaneously love and hate. It will definitely assure that I'll read the third book as soon as possible, but it will also make the wait for The Goddess Inheritance almost unbearable. I want to hate certain characters for their decisions, but at the same time, I care about them too much to be angry at them. All I can do is hope that everything will be alright again.

All in all, I'm very happy with Goddess Interrupted. While Kate might have been a bit too whiny for my taste and there weren't enough happy moments for her and Henry, I really enjoyed the world Aimée Carter created again and I can't wait to find out what she has in store for these characters. I'm definitely crossing my fingers for a happy ending. And if you enjoyed the first book, you should definitely pick this one up. If you haven't even read this series yet, what are you waiting for?

Challenge(s):
YA Mythology Challenge 2012

Books in this series:

The Goddess Test (#1) - my review
The Goddess Hunt (#1.5)
Goddess Interrupted (#2)
The Goddess Legacy (#2.5 - July 31st, 2012)
The Goddess Inheritance (#3 - October 2012)

Have you read this series? What did you think about it?
Do you plan to read it?
Carina

8 comments:

  1. Im glad you enjoyed reading this book! Because i do now my sister was greatly disappointed with the second book compared to the first! Great review and thanks for sharing! :)

    Farah @MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, I'm so glad you enjoyed this. I adored book one and I'm so hoping this one is amazing too! Donna xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. cant wait to read this book, I loved this series. glad you enjoyed it Carina. great review x

    Ƹ̴Ӂ̴ƷFICBOOKREVIEWSƸ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved book one, but I couldn't get past the whining in book two. I was a little dissapointed, but of course I will read book #3! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review Carina! I secretly love cliffhangers! haha. I haven't started this series yet but I really want to I just have to find the time. ACK. Super curious about the endings everyone's talking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed The Goddess Test so I can't wait to read Goddess Interrupted! I'm happy to hear that the relationship between Kate and Henry becomes a lot stronger in this one. I also love and hate cliffhangers. This sounds like a great addition to the series and I'll definitely have to pick up a copy soon. Fantastic review :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm still a bit hesitant to read this book because I'm afraid that it won't be as good as the first one! But your review REALLY makes me wonder what characters made what bad decisions and what this cliffhanger is, and also about this love triangle that wasn't the one you expected. Hmm, I might have to check it out after all :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Huh I'm a fan of cliffhangers, should read Goddess Intrrupted soon! I liked the first book, but don't really feel an urgent need to read its sequel right now. I hope that Henry and Kate's love gets a bit more intense and heart-felt. Thanks for your review!

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!