Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Review: Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Publisher: Entangled Publishing
First published: November 29th, 2011
Source: Bought
Format: eBook (Kindle)
Pages: 266
Goodreads Summary:
Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I’d pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring…. until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something…unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon’s touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I’m getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don’t kill him first, that is.

My Rating: 5.0 / 5

First thoughts:
Within a few pages, I was captivated by this beautiful novel and fell in love with it completely. I have not read many alien stories, but if all of them are like Obsidian, please give me more. It has great characters, an exciting plot and an ending that makes me desperately await the sequel. 

More detailed:
Ever since I found out about Obsidian, I have been anticipating it a lot. When the first reviews started to appear on different blogs, my excitement grew even more and now I'm very happy that I bought a Kindle copy since it enabled me to read it as soon as possible. Jennifer L. Armentrout managed to create aliens I'd love to meet - especially if there are more like Daemon out there.

I had heard that Daemon's hot-and-cold-attitude towards Katy might get a little bit too much. But maybe because I already expected it, I didn't have a hard time tolerating this and always looked forward to their verbal sparring matches. Especially the extra-scenes from Daemon's point of view at the end, but also a few moments from Katy's point of view, let us see what he's truly like behind a façade of sarcasm and insults.

I loved witnessing the story from Katy's point of view since she's a very intriguing character. Not only is she a book blogger, which - of course - is absolutely awesome, but she's also a very realistic character. Her reactions towards the discoveries she makes are very believable and make her a pleasant voice to listen to.

The other characters we encounter are very interesting as well. Of course, I'm completely in love with Daemon and his sister Dee and I always loved witnessing their interactions as well. It's obvious how much they care about each other and how both of them start to care about Katy. I also liked seeing the other secondary characters, although I'm hoping to find out more about them in the sequel.

All in all, I think I have to add the Lux series to my list of favorites. Obsidian is a really well written novel with an addicting plot that I couldn't get enough of. I can't wait to see what Jennifer L. Armentrout has in store for her characters and I'm crossing my fingers for many more steamy and romantic scenes between Daemon and Katy.

Following novels in the series:

2. Onyx (May 2012)
3. Untitled (2012)

I'm happy that I already have bought a Kindle copy of Jennifer's other novel Half-Blood, because after reading Obsidian I definitely want to get to it soon. :)

Have you read Obsidian? What did you think about it?
Do you plan to read it?
Carina

10 comments:

  1. Great review!
    I absolutely fell in love with Obsidian as well. The story is fresh and original and the characters? OMG I adore these characters, especially MY girl Katy ;)

    I really love the verbal back and forth between Katy and Daemon too, and the way Katy can hold her own against this infuriating *coughwonderfullyhotandswoonworthycough* guy.

    You can check out my review HERE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I've been hearing a ton of great things about this one so I'll definitely be picking up a copy soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh, great review! Making me even more intrigued by this one. I can't wait to get my hands on either of her novels! They seem so good. o: Time to bump them up the wishlist I think! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed this as well and I'm a big fan of Jennifer L. Armentrout. Glad you enjoyed it as well :-)

    Safari Poet

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this review! I agree with your statement: "I have not read many alien stories, but if all of them are like Obsidian, please give me more." Please, PLEASE get me more, if they're like Obsidian. I really liked this book, and even though I hated Daemon off and on, I ended up falling for him. Hope you like Half-Blood! I plan to read it soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been hearing so many great things about Obsidian, so I definitely can't wait to read it (and hopefully soon!)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome Carina!! I LOVED This one! I also didn't dislike how far Daemon went or how bad his attitude could get. I found it all hilarious in most cases I loved it! <3

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good that I got Half Blood recently. Now I want to know more about that author. If this novel works for me, I'll definitely try out Obsidian,too! Great review;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Phenominal review (as usual)!!! Now I NEED to pick this book up. The characters, storyline,and writing sounds soooo totally awesome!!! So glad you loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My only other two complaints (and they're teeny tiny!) is that I wish the book had been longer, so I could have had more time with these characters, and that I wanted to know more about some of the secondary characters. There were one or two who I hope in the sequel, ONYX, we get to see more of, since they didn't have very many redeeming qualities. Overall, I am VERY excited for ONYX, and to give y'all a peek at the cover below! So if you don't have Obsidian yet...run, don't walk to go snag a copy, because it is steamy, heart-pounding, and unforgettable.

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!